Thursday, May 5, 2011

The 20m parable

I counted... 6m...12m...then I aked him again. "Each colour is 6m right?".
"Yes Michael", he responded

 "Wait a minute...lemme count again" as I said with excitement on my face. "1...2...3...3 and a half...Wow!"

"Let's just say 20m, right?" I asked again. This time he was deeply engrossed in his work and could barely hear me.
I recounted the climbing experience as I made it up the steps to try to reach the top of the 50m tower with the aid of a ladder. The ladder was enclosed in a ring-like frame which had its rings at short intervals up the tower and suitably shaped for human passage.
8m up was a bit easy but my nightmare started at 15m. I looked down and many thoughts flew through my head in split seconds.



"What if the ladder breaks?"
"Okay fine its made of steel but what if I lose my grip way up?"
"I might be careful but based on how tired I feel, what if I develop a leg muscle pull or hand pull?"


"What if a bird pees on my head or flies right in my face?"
I swallowed my saliva and I can boldly tell you that I was scared of death for once. Stories of men that had fallen from such heights which I witnessed with my ears filled my head. Some even said, once they hit the ground, dying wasn't the scary thing but the way their body parts dismantled was gory. I looked up at the platform about 8m away and the unimaginable started happening. My hands began to shake and to make it worse, I couldn't rest on any thing. Then I wrapped my left hand round the ladder and pressed my chest against the cold steel while my right clutched firmly on the step above my head. My legs also started shaking, so I stopped ascending and decided to rest a bit. I could feel my heart beat faster.
I dared not to look down at this height, lest I die of panic. Looking ahead of me, I could see rooftops and cars passing by. I was 15m away from where I started from and only 5m away from my goal but the fear of falling kept me stagnant where I was. Truth is, I expended more energy hanging unto the ladder.
Then a knowing dawned on me and I could clearly relate my ladder experience to life.



Too many times we get comfortable with our comfort zone (15m from the ground) and refuse to strive for something better even if we honestly know it will be for our good. If only we knew that only a little more...and a lil more...and just one more effort would take us to where we desire. Trust me friend...Life isn't complex, there are only complex people.
So I realized as you will realize after reading this, that only a lil more effort would get me to the platform and since I had come this far which is 3 quarter of my journey, I could also make it there.



I unwrapped my hand and clung tightly again with both hands as I made it upwards gently.
I never looked down (lest fear hits me again) and I never looked up (so I don't get overwhelmed by the height to reach). I looked straight ahead, mind on the prize as I made it up slow and steady.
1..2...Step...


1..2...Step...


Wow! I was shocked at what my hand gripped next...THE PLATFORM...I was now 20m off the ground.



You know that saying about it being cooler at the top...and not being crowded. Yep! Its true!


I was welcomed by a very cool breeze blowing freely and the landscape was kind enough to entertain my ever-wondering eyes.
Every day we struggle to stay on top of 'our game'. We go to school, learn a trade, acquire a skill, get a job and all sorts to keep afloat. But most importantly, its good to know that in whatever you do, you'll always be confronted by your worst fears which at every point demands a resilient attitude. Never focus on your fears, you only make them as relevant as the attention you pay to them. Never fantasize too much about the top that you forget to take those bold steps to reach 'the platform'.

All things being equal with God on your side, you will discover that as you take those bold steps up the ladder of success, you'll overcome your fears and unknowingly your hand will touch that platform you've craved for long. And once your hand touches, you can be sure the legs with be standing boldly as your eyes wonder in amazement of the view.

My view at 20m...so nice.
"Only the man who climbed the ladder appreciates the platform at the top"- Me

0 comments:

Post a Comment