Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I love you Buddy! by Adeleke Adedolapo (Lowla Dee)

This is a very inspiring piece i came across one day by a very inspiring writer, Adeleke Adedolapo (a.k.a.Lowla Dee) and I decided to share it with y'all. I hope it changes something in you. Enjoy!









We were there in his room. I could feel his presence...the smell..I couldnt take this, Just as I turned to walk away, I saw in between his Bible a letter...a very long letter. It was the last one.
Dear Buddy,
You are my hero Dad. I love you so much that I do not know how it would be like livin with any other man but you. You've always been my bestfriend and dad, I wish you could stay with me forever. Sometimes I still feel the guilt that I took mom away from you. I wish she didnt have to die bringing me to the world. Daddy cant I stay with you forever?!
I remember the early years, age three I guess, when I didnt understand that the deaf could not hear...I remember those days I didnt understand that you couldnt hear me dad...and I'm sorry, I'm sorry I caused you so much pain.

I remember how you would cry when I'm crying because you didnt just know why I was crying. You couldnt tell if it was food? water? biscuit? play?! You didnt have a clue and I'm sorry dad...
I remember at age five, the very day Nanny Felicia told me the deaf people couldnt hear and that you are deaf thats why you seemed so strange.
 I remember how hard I cried and hated myself for hating you, and then when you came back home from work that night, I also remembered how loud I screamed "Daddy!" from the depth of my heart, with all of my being and I jumped on you shaking with tears. I forgot you couldn't even hear how passionate I just called you my father. All you could see was how hard I had cried. You quickly put down your briefcase, shaking too, saying underneath your breath (I could hear you) " Buddy I cant hear you, please dont do this to me..who did this to you...God let me just hear her this once..." You began to cry

I didnt know how to tell you nothing was wrong with me but that I just love you more now that I understood, to thank you for laughing at my jokes you couldn't hear...for always telling me each night before I slept "I love you buddy" eventhough you never could hear me say it back.
Just then, I ran from the comfort of your laps and you followed me. I headed for my school bag and brought out a paper and the crayon you just bought me. I remember how my hands shook as I drew slowly "I LOVE YOU BUDDY" and showed it to you. I can never forget the way you looked at me, you gently took it from my hands and showed it to me too and it's been twenty years dad since we both discovered we could write to each other and I am never tired! I also remember how we both wept in each others arms that night...I was only five.
I still have them...all the little endless notes we wrote to each other- Dad, I want to sleep- Dad I want some pasta- Dad I have a headache- I'll be back soon buddy, Nanny Felicia will be here with you. I still have them!

Its hurts to leave you dad...but you wont let me stay with you! I wish mom were here! I remember how elated you were when I wrote you a note in the parlour that night, a note that read "He has asked me to marry him" I remember the satisfactory nod you gave me! How I trust you dad!
Though I am afraid to leave you but you have taught me how to love...to love unconditionally and now that I am leaving to start my own home, I promise to love unconditionally. I have learnt that if I could love you deaf, then I can love the blind, the crippled, the leprosed, the orphan, the destitute, the short tempered, I can love anyone dad. I have truly learnt.
You are my hero dad. I will come back to see you after the Honeymoon, just hang in there for me. I miss you , you'll never know how much and I want you to know that I'm in safe arms like yours. I just wish one day you can hear me say "I Love you Buddy" 

I'll be back...
Your only "Buddy"
My hands shook and I vibrated with tears as I folded the letter back into the bible. My buddy was gone before I came back. He had lived for me for 70 years. 
My husband took me into his arms and said to me " I promise never to love you less than he did. I'll take over from where he stopped. Just call me buddy" He cupped my face
I smiled amidst my tears and nodded, "I trust you buddy"
and then I knew another unconditional, endless love chapter had begun.
THE END


Love is unconditional..how great is it to still love one who cant love you back, to love without expecting anything in return. To love...Despite* Lets learn to love people without stating the conditions! Remember we were yet sinners and Christ loves us " Despite..."
with love ,
Lowla

2 comments:

  1. My eyes are so heavy, am smiling and evryone is wondering why am smiling at the screen of my system. This is lovely. Am happy at the same time cos i have experienced one.....Lovely, really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you connected with the story. Kudos to Lowla Dee!

    ReplyDelete