Thursday, August 5, 2010

Good People Great Nation...?


I love Nigeria and no matter where I might go in this world, nothing would still substitute my love for the country.

This write-up is meant for you and I to think through some issues I’ll be revealing shortly. But before you read I’d Like to do a sort of traffic check cuz I write as one who speaks to an audience. And my audience today is one I’d like to be choosy about.

First if you are have doubts about Nigeria then you need not go through the stress of reading this.
I’ve got my facts laid out and some sources to back it up and mosdef open to your honest criticism. What I’ll be sharing is based on in-depth research and sources of any info I give will be referenced for your voluntary perusal.

In 2009, the overseas-driven ‘Rebranding Nigeria’ project was initiated for a supposed home-based impact and speculations arose as to whether it would have an impact on Nigeria’s Vision 2020. Good People Great Nation. I totally bought the idea; at least the change had to start somehow. But from my own view has not gotten any far.

We are one of the largest oil-producing nations and Nigeria still imports from other countries. Hillary Clinton in her visit to Nigeria described it as embarrassing and due to some self-seeking-as-long-as-I’m-comfortable-you-can-go-to-blazes top government officials.

July 2008, Nigeria agreed to supply Ghana 30 million cubic metres of gas for power generation.
We supply electricity to Ghana that boasts of 24hrs of uninterrupted power supply yet we can’t boast of 10 hours of interrupted supply.

I complain of the degrading economy and you are not innocent of that either, yet we are the cause of it. HOW? You ask. The average Nigerian is a natural consumer, we do not produce. We buy virtually everything from clothes to food to even crude oil that we produce here! This is not right! This is one of the major reasons why the Naira will keep depreciating and Mr Inflation will maintain his obese form.

American Outsourcing: I’m not going to compare us to America and that’s not even the aim but I want to break this down for you to know.
America is a country that outsources a large percentage of jobs to countries where they get cheap labour: China India, etc. India for your info produces, China produces.

America gets cheap labour from China (reduced expenditure on labour), China gets money (liquid asset) in return. Both parties smile home happy.

Now come down to Nigeria, Nigeria doesn’t produce so we buy what we want from America et al even as far as imported toothpicks (helping their economy) and we get our consumables in return{nothing goes back to our economy), Naira keeps dropping in value and Inflation rises. Now why for goodness sake do we keep blaming the leaders.


Some problems we face are just too basic to be called problems! I’ll give you a scenario.

About 6 years back, coming home one day from school I had crossed this busy express road and on the other side people were gathered. So I moved close to check out what had happened. Lying on the floor right there was a woman, not just a woman but a pregnant one and it was an accident. She was there helpless and the car that hit her had disappeared. So I thought to myself, what it costs to build an overhead bridge. A senator’s allowances alone could cover the expenses.


Enough has been said, I could go on forever and nothing would still change but I have a message:
We call ourselves the youths and leaders of tomorrow so lets start acting like we really are.
As many as still believe in that change, I urge you to never give up on Nigeria, pursue what you believe in because EXCELLENCE SELLS!

“We are what we repeatedly do so excellence then is not an act, but a habit” – Aristotle

No one (not even me) will go for your product if its not up to standard. So if you play football - play good, if you cook – cook your best, if you write – write to inspire, if you want to go into politics – go with a will to serve, and if you’re not sure of what you want to do yet – be the best at whatever comes your way. Let’s use what we have to make our own country Nigeria what its supposed to be!

So this is what I think and it has been shared from my perspective…WHAT IS UR OWN IDEA? Give your feedbacks below. I rest my case…


          

10 comments:

  1. I am eagerly waiting for your comments. Feel free to express your views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and this was quite an important reminder to keep on pushing for the Nigeria in my mind's eye.

    Thanks sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that. Nothing like our motherland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look through history and you will see that every change takes place on a platform of a restless people. We don't need the whole of the Nigerian citizens to stir this change we just need we, those of us who can get real about this thing and "refuse to mind our business but that of our nation". Hear this truth, Nigeria is the one deterring progress in Africa; for Africa's greatness hinges tight to the giant making one-fifth of it.
    Like the article pointed out, be your best in whatever you do and lead a life of selflessness. It taste sour at first but your reward will be an immortal stamp of a true patriot the likes of Mandela et al.
    Common, lets redeem our image and shame our shame, lets build respect and honour for our mother. Remember, Nigeria is Mother to us all. Nigeria, Good people, Great nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to point out to something you said in your concluding paragraph - 'No one (not even me) will go for your product if its not up to standard.' Inasmuch as I would love to blame the govt, we the larger populace have the larger part of the blame. We are so overshadowed by inferiority complex in Nigeria. Tell me, how many people can boldly say that they'd go for 'aba' shoes when their friends are wearing gucci and the likes? Quite a few. The truth is there's a standard and if you want your product to be recognized at all, at least meet that standard. We have producers in Nigeria today who produce solely for profit-making, not minding if the need's adequately met. At least from what I've seen recently, Nollywood's coming up now, but there's still a large expanse of room for improvement. I believe in the Nigerian dream and I know we are part of those God's raising to do the job. A wise man once said to me, 'If you are messing up, someone'll warm up to take your place!' Wake up from your slumber pple, WE CAN DO THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Response to Anonymous: I totally agree with u. Just a few that believe in the change we seek are needed.Well said!

    Response to Moyo Adebayo: Truly if our products are up to standard, we won't have to go far to purchase anything. We just need youths that will believe in the potential our nation carries.

    I write with great confidence and I say with you Moyo WE CAN DO THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hhmmmmm..im impress...neva knew u write dis gud....nice wrk..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks D1! i hope to write better than this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a visitor to your blog (saw the ref on another post!).

    You seem to forget that the Government dictates economic trends. Nigerians are simply humans, with insatiable appetite for the goodies of life. Please check the CBN annual report to see the trend in our manufacturing capacity. We are a net importer (as a country because the government policies favours that – ask any budding entrepreneur what it takes to do business in Nigeria - from multiple taxation to no infrastructure to not-so-skilled labour force etc). Please stop blaming the citizens for their consumption patterns or penchant for western products. From economics, the government has a huge role to play in encouraging local production/consumption – refer to how the US car industry was bailed out by the Obama Administration.

    More grease as you do more researches to identify the root cause of our economic woes. BTW, it isnt rocket science!!

    As an aside, America outsources production but retains the propriety right/knowledge for the technology (read royalty). Have you heard of “Buy made in America” campaign of Mr Obama - protectionism? Why has China continually maintained its yuan at an artificial rate?

    Keep it up bro!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yemi nice contribution and thanks for coming over here. I love your analysis and I'd like to say that I agree with you on the part of the government's neglect of its duties, but we as individuals could still play our little part by appreciating what we have and spurring great innovations. I'll be featuring one of such innovation on my interview page today

    ReplyDelete